jueves, febrero 23, 2006

The Dang Port Issue!

At first glance, this just seems like a bad deal. Most media is just giving this issue a superficial scare-the-common man treatment. The conservative media is simply defending my man W. Some conservatives are questioning our beloved leader. The crazy leadership of the left just spouts off at the mouth and nobody is listening.

Through all this tumult of words and opinions, what is a common boy like myself to believe?

Tony Snow on his radio show is the only level headed person I have heard address the topic. He is having interviews with people intimately involved with the ports and with national security.

I'm still withholding my judgement, but I recommend the Tony Snow show if you want to hear a reasoable discussion of the issue.

5 comentarios:

BLOGDE dijo...

I'll probably support this deal, it's just ownership. If we want to participate in a global econnomy, we have to play by the same rules we ask other countries to play by. I guess the Chineese allready own some of our other ports (communist ownership of American assets, who'd a thunk it 30 years ago), and there's a host of other countries with their fingers in the port pies.

Had John Kerry been elected I can't image Republicans not raising a fuss, especially with the mid-term elections on the horizon, I would think this issue would be red meat for every conservative talk show host.

Anónimo dijo...

I agree with David... fair play is fair play. To use the "Arabness" of the purchaser as a deal-killer would be a situation where we could agree on the offensive "ethnocentricity" of the move as well... hey, what do you know! I don't watch too much of the party oriented talk shows, but. on CSPAN, there seems to be a fairly good amount of fuss being raised by the Republican lawmakers... in both the House and Senate, Kerry, or (thank God!) no Kerry.

Publius

BLOGDE dijo...

It has been amuzing to see my conservative friends dazed amd confused look over the port issue. They have marched to the presidents drum beat of terror and fear unquestioningly, suddenly GW is off message, and asking for reason.

Perhaps the Republican pols who are against the sale feel that the president is diluting the terror message and they won't be able to wield it as effectively for political advantage if this deal goes through.


People might stop being scared and start thinking.

Will the president stand by his decision, or will it go the way of Harriet Meirs?

Birding is Fun! dijo...

David, do you really feel that Bush is only in power because he has intentionally instilled fear into the hearts of christian america?

I have more fear of a person like John Kerry or Hillary Clinton leading our country than I fear terrorism. I couldn't bear to see the lack of leadership that they would have during times of turmoil. They simply lack the level of character needed to lead and to love the nation. JFK did. FDR did. Bill Clinton had the charisma, but was a white-washed hollow building.

George W. Bush at least tries to do what is right. Maybe not what the rest of the world thinks is right. Perhaps not what all the people in America think is right. But when it comes to good v. evil, which is an absolute truth on a level higher than David is willing to recognize, George W. Bush is on the side of good.

BLOGDE dijo...

Robert, I wouldn't read all that into my comments, I'm just saying the presidents conservative constituency is a bit on the ropes this week, and offering some reasons why, this is germane to the port issue. I'll give no president, be it GW, Hillary, or Kerry a pass on thier policy and decsions.