jueves, marzo 06, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?


The picture above, drawn by Gary Thomas, came from the 50th and final book in a series of 1st Grade reader books. I was shocked and found it somewhat humorous to see the swine serving ham. What a feast indeed! Dang cannibals.

Assuming, as I always do, that there was some secret evil agenda promoting anthropophagy behind such an innocent depiction, I did some internet research on Modern Curriculum Press in Parsippany, New Jersey. Sure enough...very obscurely hidden on their website is a link asking for donations to support the Korowai tribe in West Papua, Indonesia, a tribe known to be modern day cannibals. I knew it! They are subliminally trying to convert our children into savages that eat their own kind. Or perhaps they are trying to recruit our young well-fed fleshy-faced kids to supplement their diets rather than their own scrawny and famine-malnourished victims.

Even more disturbing was when I finally noticed the name of the author, Janis Asad Raabe. That's a very Muslim name if I've ever seen one. What is he or she doing writing about eating ham in the first place?!

It's all very, very suspicious.

3 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

You must've meant Arab name right? Because of course, there are Christian-Arabs who eat ham too: Paula Abdul, Shakira, Casey Kasem etc.

Birding is Fun! dijo...

I did use the the term "Muslim" facetiously to intentionally imply a religious prohibition on pork products. I could not have very well went into a diatribe on the diversity of practices by those with Arabic names for a succinct and satirical piece.

It's all about the "Crew" dijo...

I knew what was wrong as soon as I looked at it! Very interesting!