miércoles, marzo 11, 2009

Stem Cell Research: Good, Bad, Indifferent?

The ethics of embryonic stem cell research is a hot topic right now. The main issue is whether or not federal funds (your taxes) should be used to pay for the research using embryonic stem cells. To my understanding, stem cell research was never banned - it simply was not federally funded. If stem cell research was as promising as the media makes it sound in curing all kinds of diseases, I would bet that "evil" profit-seeking pharmaceutical companies would have been investing billions into research already. Do we really want the government paying for research that so many people find immoral?

For me, the morality of stem cell research comes down to the question: "Is a fertilized cell a living soul?" It is my opinion that it is not yet a soul. It is a cluster of cells with no organs, no heartbeat, and is probably less alive than a few living skin cells I could scratch off my arm right now. Once that group of cells have multiplied and differentiated to the point of a heartbeat then I would say it is a life that God has ordained and is off limits to being intentionally terminated.
I would object if cells are obtained by abortions, but I don't believe that is the case. To my current understanding, many of the embryos come from eggs fertilized for parents seeking in vitro fertilization and they typically fertilize more eggs than would actually be implanted.

What about using these cells for cloning? As a science-fiction fan, cloning sounds kind of cool. I agree it does feel somewhat like we are messing with God's historically established methods, but he revealed the technology for some reason, right? It really depends on the intent of the cloning.
Is it to grow replacement organs in lab? I'm good with that.
Is it to make a Star Wars army to defeat the evil empire? Not really practical.
Is it for designer babies created to the parents specifications? That bugs me, but I don't really know why. If a clone baby develops and God determines to place a spirit into that body, I'm okay with it. Every spirit is unique and therefore would not be the same person it was cloned from.

In vitro fertilization strikes me as unnatural, but I would never begrudge parents from wanting to have their own seed. Again, from an eternal perspective, adoption is just as good, if not a better option that I would encourage people to seek first. Now octo-mom and her doctor are simply irresponsible.

In conclusion, I am okay with embryonic stem cell research as long as the cells are obtained morally and funded privately.

6 comentarios:

Leslie dijo...

Stem cells can also be harvested from umbilical cords! We throw these away so why not use the cells to do research! Let's be honest, the pharmaceutical companies aren't going to back this. If we cure everything, then people won't have to buy pills. This will destroy them! Go Obama for backing such a worthy cause! I am ALL FOR stem cell research!

Unknown dijo...

Well said. If the choice is between throwing them in the garbage and using them for medical research, I say let's use them.

There are now some treatments being tested for various different diseases/conditions using stem cells. Their potential is very exciting.

Sushi-Mama dijo...

We have actually been storing G-Bear's umbilical cord blood for 5-1/2 years just for this reason. Yes, we pay a fee, but "The Donkey's" neurologist felt that it may be worth it in the future to help with autoimmune diseases such as MS. I know. . . we are so weird! (Our OBGYN thought so!) Just FYI, one of our state Senators, Orrin Hatch, is a big proponent of stem cell use.

pam dijo...

Did you know that our little Jackson, whom we call our "miracle baby", is the result of InVitro Fertilization? All I have to say about that is ... THANK GOODNESS!!!! He is such a blessing in our lives. We feel like IVF is a blessing from Heavenly Father - if used wisely. Seriously. I know I don't need to explain myself to anyone, but felt like I wanted to when I read that you suggested adoption is a better option for people. We accept adoption 100% (or more!) and are totally open to it ... and will probably adopt in the near future. But for some reason, we FELT (very strongly) like we needed to start our little family through the IVF process. I wouldn't trade that experience (or him, of course) for anything. I would NEVER wish our years of trying to have children on anyone, but you will never know how it feels (or the choices you would make) until you experience it yourself. I know some people think IVF is wrong. As for me, Shawn, and both of our immediate families, we are all thanking Heavenly Father for the miracle of IVF. We all prayed and fasted together (many times) and feel like Jackson is the answer to our prayers. Shawn and I thank Heavenly Father many times each day, as we are SOOO enjoying having Jackson in our lives! We love our little Jackson so much!!!!! (By the way, I KNOW you weren't directing anything at us. So, no worries about that! I just hate that because of the "Octo-Mom" there has been so much bad publicity about IVF. I think more people think it is wrong and "irresponsible" now, no matter what their procedure was like or how many embryos were implanted. I wish they would show people who have had positive experiences. But we know that will never happen because that is not what the media wants!)

Birding is Fun! dijo...

Thank you all for your comments. How people welcome little lives into their families is a deeply personal decision between the couple and the Lord. Many of my friends and loved ones now have children with their own DNA because of IVF and God bless every one of them! I bear you know judgment and find no evil whatsoever in IVF. I only say it is unnatural in the same why that keeping someone alive with a machine is unnatural. It is a choice that requires fasting and prayer.

Unknown dijo...

Pam,

Little Jackson is a miracle and a blessing indeed.

The Donkey