lunes, enero 04, 2010

A New Game I wanted to share with you all

We played a game, new to us, with relatives during the holidays.  It's called LCR "Left Center Right Dice Game" - you can get it about anywhere and this is their website: http://www.dicegames.com/


After a couple rounds of playing this fast-paced fun game, I noticed that it had some timely political analogies.
As you play the game, it involves the forced redistribution of wealth which results in everyone getting poorer while money continues to disappear into a pit of unknown bureaucracy.  Even if you are out of money you aren't totally out as the forced redistribution of others hard-earned wealth occasionally allows you to still be in the game.  The game ends when only one person has any money left, which is usually one coin and all the other money has dissappeared and everyone is destitute.  That's why I have dubbed this "The Barack Obama Game"

8 comentarios:

Sushi-Mama dijo...

Or you could call it the "Law of Consecration" game. . .!! I should get it for Chris, sounds like a game he'd love! Good to hear from you again, Robert. We love the friendly debates :)

Birding is Fun! dijo...

Interesting you should mention the "Law of Consecration". I have done quite a bit of study regarding the difference between that spiritual law and socialism...very different, especially when it comes to the eternal principle of agency. Most versions of the United Order included private ownership with actual deeds in hand given by the church. Socialsim/Marxism is when the state/church owns everything.

the mortensen's dijo...

Loved this game! Need to get one of my own.
Also, introduced ninja destruction to the spjutes. Hilarious! good times had by all

Rose dijo...

Good observation! Funny.

Quiet Donkey dijo...

I'm a little bewildered at where all the talk of redistribution of wealth and socialism is coming from. My wealth hasn't been redistributed, not that I'm an overly wealthy individual anyway.

It might have come from the bailouts. Many people are upset that the pending disaster wasn't allowed to come to full fruition. The real outrage should be with the corrupt execs that led their companies, and ultimately all of us, down that dark road. I guess that is a form of redistribution of wealth - to have these execs making insane amounts of money while the rest of the world suffers from their actions.

I'm still not sure where the whole socialism thing is coming from. I still have the same rights I did with W. Peoples lives, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is still free to be denied by insurance companies the same way they were under W. People still have the right to tap in to my phone without a warrant.

One freedom that has been extended since Obama came into office is that concealed weapon holders can now carry their weapon in national parks, which they couldn't before he came into office. You'll never hear this from all the Sean Hannity's and Rush Limbaugh's out there. They've got people buying up ammo like it's going out of style.

One thing that happened under W that as far as I know is still going on is the introduction of private contractors into Iraq to do soldiers jobs. A local police chief here in Utah has a son over there working for one of these private contractors as a sniper. He makes $100,000 a year. I'm not sure what an army sniper makes, but I pretty sure it's not that much. What a slap in the face to any member of the Army who bravely volunteered for service and is making less than that. If we are paying one that much, we should be paying them all that much.

All that being said, the game sounds fun! :-)

Birding is Fun! dijo...

I'm not saying the Pres. Obama has instituted widespread socialism, but it is obvious that that is his goal. Today's headlines has him seizing more power over banks...nationalization of private industry is socialsim. Increasing taxes to then redistribute to poorly government run programs is socialism. Taking away our agency to help the poor and the needy through forced universal health care is socialism. As government takes unto itself undue powers, it gets hungier for more. That slippery slope leads to control over more of our lives. How soon before the government forces Boy Scouts and even our Church to accept homosexuality and abortion or be shut down?

Not So Quiet Donkey dijo...

It's true that the lack of moral discipline does threaten freedom somewhat. This can be seen both in the healthcare sector and the financial sector. A quote from Elder D. Todd Christofferson outlines the sad situation we find ourselves in:

'In most of the world, we have been experiencing an extended and devastating economic recession. It was brought on by multiple causes, but one of the major causes was widespread dishonest and unethical conduct, particularly in the U.S. housing and financial markets. Reactions have focused on enacting more and stronger regulation. Perhaps that may dissuade some from unprincipled conduct, but others will simply get more creative in their circumvention. There could never be enough rules so finely crafted as to anticipate and cover every situation, and even if there were, enforcement would be impossibly expensive and burdensome. This approach leads to diminished freedom for everyone. In the memorable phrase of Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, 'We would not accept the yoke of Christ; so now we must tremble at the yoke of Caesar.'"

The yoke of Christ would have been the better road.

Noisy Donkey dijo...

With regard to banking, the President is not trying to nationalize private industry. He is just trying to put some checks in place to limit "dishonest and unethical" conduct.

:-)