sábado, julio 02, 2005

Illegal Immigration

My ancestors, mostly from Denmark, came to the United States in the mid-1800's. Knowing they were leaving Denmark they began to learn English before even getting on the ship that would take them to New York. Once they landed in the promised land, they registered and they were on their way west to realize the American Dream. They were industrious people, very patriotic, and law-abiding citizens. They learned English and became Americans. I don't know how to recognize my Danish cultural roots, but I know that their faith, work ethic, and love of America have passed on to me.

Can't it still be just that simple? I think it can...Why not?

I lived in Argentina for two years as an LDS missionary. I became fairly fluent in Spanish, but more importantly, I learned to love a people that were not my own.

Working as a construction superintendent for a few years, I have come to know some of the finest people on earth. Unfortunately, they are illegal immigrants from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Colombia. They, like my ancestors, came to America seeking a greater good for their families. They are industrious and ambitious workers and most of them are "trying" to learn English. I regularly encourage my latino amigos to learn English as soon and as well as possible so that better opportunities open up for them. I have to get after some of them for their lack of effort in learning English and I can see that they are will to coast thru the rest of their lives here without learning it, knowing that their children do learn it in school.

Culturally, there is a difference between my ancestors and that of mis amigos. Latinos are a little more reluctant to integrate and assimilate into this crazy new culture we have here. Of course, there are parts of the cultura latina that I enjoy and hope to integrate into my family culture. Other parts that of latin culture are better left behind. For example, many come from governments who have failed them, but have not failed in filling them with a sense of entitlement to government assistance. But that's just it isn't it?...America the great "melting-pot" where all types of metals are combined forming a stronger alloy while the impurities are burned off. Sadly, I'm afraid that we aren't melting together too much any more.



So, what is the solution? For starters, we should make the process of coming into our country simple and easy. Like my ancestors, people should be able to come, register and be on their way to realize the American Dream of tax-paying and social security and Medicare contributing.

Oh, but what about the threat of terrorist then being able to enter more easily? Well, that's nothing a little racial-profiling couldn't but help deter. (but that's a topic for another day)

What about all the illegals that are already here? Let them come and register too. Generally we will find them to be contributing to our economy, but now we would be able tax them into perpetual poverty too (also a topic for another day). Not to mention, their family ties that are now here, which reason above any other should dissuade us from non-case-specific deportation policies.

Remember our founding fathers guiding principles of the pursuit of LIFE, LIBERTY, PROPERTY, and HAPPINESS. If our immigrant friends don't have full access to these, how can they melt into that stronger alloy?

No hay comentarios: