Just a little update on my world...
I loved the week off of work to enjoy family reunions and the mountains with my family. It was just what I needed. Jessica is a total stud camper. She gets right in there with the setting up and taking down. She would have been a good pioneer woman! The kids did great too and even let us get good nights sleep.
Now I am over-run with work at SunCor, not because I was gone, but because one lady is out on disability and I have a huge stack of invoices to pay.
RC Willey is going well and they're keeping me busy enough that I don't have a lot of blogging and reading time right now.
The presidential race just ticks me off. I don't like anyone running. Feel free to write me in rather than vote for Comrade McCain or Comrade Obama. Can you believe McCain wanted to cap CEO salaries?!
If you are in my ward and reading this, stop now (unless it is after July 13th). I just got called to a new position in the ward and it has me scared to death...Primary Chorister. First of all, I've only seen two other men with this calling and they were dang good, but I am truly intimidated by this calling. What happened to the easy callings like Bishopric and EQP? Gone are those days.
Our stake presidency also issued a challenge on Sunday that we all avoid TV, movies, and video games for a whole month. I am so addicted to certain shows that this will be tough. Thank goodness for DVR! We've been encouraged to replace screen time with good literature time and good family time. You mean I actually have to talk with my wife when I come home from work rather than vegging in front of the small screen HDTV with DVR and hundreds of channels all for my viewing pleasure?! Aren't you glad you don't live in my stake? You should feel guilty anyway.
Speaking of guilt and TV's. Sometimes when I'm flipping channels I come across the BYU channel and one of the church leaders is speaking or its a education week talk or something. I always feel like I have to pause and watch it for a little while or I just feel so guilty, even though I really want to get back to that Ultimate Fighting match. Isn't that weird?!
5 comentarios:
Primary Chorister? Really? I think that is so awesome. I am presently serving in the same position. This is my fourth time around.
PS If you are serious about your calling check out www.sugardoodle.net. My favorite resource has always been the "Friend" Be glad to help out if I can.
Thanks Aunt Char. I would love suggestions for resources for leading the music in primary.
One weakness I have seen in our ward is that the kids just haven't learned the songs all that well. Suggestions on helping them learn the words would be great!
Tips on maitaining a fun yet disciplined atmosphere would be helpful too.
That is THE BEST calling in the church! I did it for 4-1/2 years and I miss it. It is the perfect way to teach the gospel.
By the way, that is Jed's calling in his ward in Kentucky. REAL men lead Primary music! I think the kids in your ward (especially the boys) are so lucky. You might actually be able to get those 11 year old boys to sing.
With Jr. Primary, make it VERY simple. They love actions to help them remember the words to the songs. You can even divide up the lyrics and assign each class to make up an action for a particular line. Then put it all together.
For Sr. Primary, we often played a game kind of like the show "Don't Forget the Lyrics." The older kids love a challenge.
In preparing for the Sacrament Meeting Program, repetition is necessary, but sometimes boring for the kids. One of my most receptive reviews involved a BIG bag with different props. If a kid chose a cowboy hat we would sing the song "country style," which was just drawn out and twangy. If they picked out a choir (graduation) robe , we sang like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with every eye on the director, perfect posture, etc. If they pulled out a pillow, we would sing with our eyes closed. You get the idea. . . This was a little more work, but the kids loved it and I had fun too!
Good Luck and let me know if you need more ideas!
Great suggestions Sushi-Mama! I will definitely use them!
I think that is such an awesome calling for you! I have seen you get goofy with the kids before and now is your excuse to do it a little more often. Your great with the kids too! I wish they wouldn't have waited until we left the ward to put you in that position! I am sure my girls would have loved you! Good luck with those 11 year old boys!
Publicar un comentario