lunes, febrero 18, 2008

Are the Russians right?

Are the Russians right about veiled intentions related to the proposed interception and destruction of the U.S. satellite? The Russians claim that it is really a defense system test. (see article) What is being told the American public is that it is a matter of safety. They are afraid that the full fuel tank would not totally burn up in the atmosphere and that it could cause damage across the space of two football fields. (see article #2)
I'd be interested to know just how many satellites have fallen to earth over the last few decades. Did any of them cause any damage on Earth? I'll bet most of them burned up completely or fell harmlessly into the sea or into the wilderness.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm not opposed to a military defense system tests and I think blowing up this satellite is really cool, but the price tag of $40 million to $60 million makes me think that there is a lot more too it than safety. Perhaps President Bush sees that expense as a good investment just as a show of our abilities to keep the enemies of our country at bay.

It would be interesting to see this story in its true light...with no spin!

I'm still hoping they get this missile to satellite deal on video!

1 comentario:

Birding is Fun! dijo...

Now that the satellite is exploded and everyone is safe and sound, the media is now reporting that it was a miltary demonstration of force. Sometimes my gut instinct is right!