sábado, febrero 09, 2008

Romney in 2012!!!

Ok...I am bummed that Mitt dropped out of the race. Super Tuesday unfortunately resulted in a battle that would be better fought in four years. It'll be interesting to see what the conservative talk-show hosts will start saying now that McCain is the only viable somewhat conservative candidate.

I am glad that Romney ran, if for one reason, to allow people to see what a Mormon is. In the last generation or so, we as Mormons have began to leave the self-imposed seclusion brought on by years of persecution. The world's perception of Mormonism is improving.

Ther are still a few ignorant people out there that aren't willing to learn. The other day on a local radio station an elderly woman called in and said that Mitt Romney lied on national television when he said he would not take direction from the LDS Church President if he were in the White House. In response, I sent in an e-mail that was read on the air that said:

"If Mormons were all supposed to blindly follow the politics of their church leaders, wouldn't you expect Mitt Romney to be more aligned with Harry Reid? The LDS Church does not side with any political party and church members do not know the political leanings of their leaders. That lady was sadly an example of the divisive-ignorance that is damaging our country."

Mormons and Christians alike need to do a better job at focusing on being friends to all people. I am all for open dialogue about doctrinal differences, but it needs to be an spiritual and academic approach focused on understanding one another.

2 comentarios:

Sara dijo...

I'm glad that there are people like you who take the time to defend our faith. Ben and I have been checking out the church's apologetic website so we can learn about how to better respond to criticism. Here's the site if you want to check it out.
www.fairlds.org
Good luck!

Birding is Fun! dijo...

www.fairlds.org is a great website and I have used it as a resource many times.

When it comes to apologetics for any organization, political or religious, FAIRLDS has done an incredible job. Even Evangelicals have stated that they need to work harder to be at the same level as LDS apologists.

Another great book that I am re-reading is called "Getting at the Truth" by Robert Millet, former dean of Religion at BYU. He has been a forerunner of inter-faith dialogue, focusing on understanding each other, rather than the contention and bible-bashing that too often occurs. He presents his reponses to a lot of the tough questions that get asked of the LDS tradition.