Working for a large land development company / home builder, we have our own lobbyist at a local level and we contribute money to PACs (Political Action Committees) that lobby in behalf of our industry and sometimes directly for us. Over the last couple of years I have had the privilege of being educated by our lobbyists as to the "games" that they have to play in order to get legislation passed. These stories are sometimes hilarious, sometimes amazingly strategic, but when all is said on done, I am just disappointed that our government has to work this way. Don't get me wrong! I am all in favor of lobbyists representing industries and so forth, but I am frustrated that they have to play games.Here's an example. One local state senator wants to support a bill that would allow developers to use an alternative method to fund the construction of roads, bridges, etc. This senator is a former teacher and therefore doesn't support his party's platform on a particular education bill. The party leadership plays the game of "You'd better support our education bill or your infrastructure funding bill will never see the light of day." Nice!
Why can't each bill stand on its own merits?! The two party system seems to be the cause here.
From reading the Federalist Papers, I came away with the impression that our founding fathers never intended a two party system, but rather as many independent factions as possible.The other part of the game is pork barrel spending. Again, why can't each bill stand on its own merits for funding? Even the "good" members of congress sneak in some pork here and there for their home constituents, but that is not the way it should be. They say that not allowing pork would slow the process of government down...GOOD! The slower the better as slower means less! Again, the Federalist Papers seem to prefer a slow moving government. If congress isn't willing to cut the fat out of the bills, then I am all for a presidential line item veto that allows the president to cut out any piece of fat that he/she feels like should not be there.
I once aspired to high political office for a combination of reasons. First, I really believe that government can help people in their pursuit of happiness by staying out of the way of it. And Second, I looked up to people like Ronald Reagan and Abe Lincoln and George Washington as heroes that I wanted to emulate. Public service is a noble calling in life. Now my desires for high political office have faded because I just don't think I could compromise my principles to play the game. I still have a hope that local political positions would allow me to truly serve and better my community.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario