Ann Coulter came out and said that she would rather campaign for Hillary Clinton than John McCain. I would never go that far. If the polls out right now are accurate, McCain could be the Republican nominee, no matter how hard it may be to stomach. I am trying to educate myself a little more on his stances so that I can firmly state what I agree and disagree with him on. I went to http://www.johnmccain.com/ and read his statements on all the issues he has on that site.I oppose McCain's position on torture. Perhaps the tv series "24" has desensitized me, but I am for "any means necessary to defend freedom and American lives." I also oppose McCain because of his unwillingness to support the national constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and woman. He thinks that this decision should happen at state level, which I believe would be ineffective and result in federal judges having to decide the matter as gay couples move from state to state. I'm not sure my stance on immigration aligns with McCain's, but nor does my stance align with Mitt Romney's. One biggy for me that makes McCain repulsive is that he jumped on the Al Gore bandwagon regarding Global Warming. He and Hillary went on a trip together to watch the ice caps melt and he came away a "believer" that mankind is destroying the planet. If a president falls for junk science, what else would he fall for?
I feel like I could support McCain's platform ont he following issues: lower corporate taxes, allow tax dedcutions and credits for business investing in equipment, technology, and research. I support McCains quest for presidential line-item veto power so that pork-barrel spending can be cut out of completely unrelated bills. McCain wants to overturn Roe v. Wade is perhaps a stronger statement that Romney has ever said. I support campaign finance disclosure, but not limits. I think McCain would handle Iraq and terrorism well. And finally I like that McCain supports school choice. I'm okay with McCain being a bit of a maverick within the Republic party, even when he criticizes Bush and the party.
Romney is my guy, but McCain probably is not a bad choice, especially given the opposition.
3 comentarios:
I just posted this on my blog in response to your comment, but thought I should post it here as well.
Robert, I appreciate your comments but as a conservative, I will never back McCain. I will not vote for someone who does not represent my political values and beliefs, just to vote for a 'republican'. I will not redefine our Republican party by voting for a liberal moderate. Someone who was considering running as the Democratic VP 8 years ago didn’t have my support then, and doesn’t have it now. McCain doesn't have a shot against Hillary or Barac-the only difference is that he’s stronger on the war and has an R behind his name. I would rather keep my integrity and not vote (first time in my life where I will not vote for a Presidential election) than see our party become marginalized.
McCain doesn't stand a chance against Hilary or Obama. To believe he does is very wishful thinking. I do realize what there is at stake, (in reference to your comment about the Supreme Court nominees) which is why I've spent the past year volunteering my time, planning events, donating thousands of dollars and raising tens of thousands of dollars for Romney. I will write Romney in my ballot before I vote for McCain. Thanks for your concern, but I am informed and I've made up my mind.
I admire what you and Ben have been doing to be right in the battle. Its been fun to see young professional LDS people, men and women, get so involved politically and with so much passion! You've weighed the pros and cons related to voting for McCain and you have a firm determination. Impressive!
When it comes to McCain's ability to run against Clinton or Obama, you have some valid concerns. McCain has no where close the amount of charisma, look, age, personality, leadership attitude, that the two democratic candidates and Romney have. Being a "moderate" republican, McCain would certainly pull some independent voters, but where an ignorant majority votes base on the presses protrayal of the candidates, McCain looks and acts less presidential. (in spite of his being a media darling because of his POW past)
Dennis Miller said on his radio show that the main reason he supports McCain is because of his service to our country as a POW. How disappointing! A POW deserves respect, but not an automatic vote into the White House.
Publicar un comentario