I did some reading up on the candidates running for the Presidency representing the Constitution Party. Their platform is pretty impressive and because they agree with legistlating moral issues and they recognize the Almighty openly, I agree with them far more than I do the Libertarians. The Constitution Party's view of eliminating any foreign ownership of land, businesses, etc on American sovereign soil is a bit "out there" for me. Their stance on the war is understandable from a constitutional perspective, but I don't agree with their conclusions.
I watched some clips of Chuck Baldwin, the Constitution Party Candidate. He is a clean-cut guy and speaks well. He is right about most of what he says, yet I can't help feeling like he and his followers could be those type of whackos that bomb abortion clinics.
After thinking about these things and then looking back on my recent blogs, I start to wonder, "Have I become one of those right-wing, constitution-totting, nut-jobs? Why is it that these issues are so heavy on my heart and mind? Why do I feel consumed by and driven to discuss these issues with such vehemence?"
I now know why.
Modern day prophets have declared that there would be many in the last days that would seek to destroy the principles of freedom and liberty found in the Constitution of the United States, and that members of God's Kingdom on earth would be among those who rise up and save the Constitution from utter destruction. (cited references can be found here)
Our religious liberties are indeed hanging by a thread at the present time. A Catholic charity handling adoptions shut down it operation in Boston, so that they would not be forced to comply with the State mandate to provide adoption services to gay couples. (source) A Methodist group in New Jersey lost a portion of the real estate tax exemption because they refused to marry gay couples on their private land. (source) A California Supreme Court ruling forces health care providers to assist gay couples seeking fertilty treatment in spite of personal religious objection. (source)
The implications of that on the LDS community are frightening. Judges now have precedent to force gay marriages into LDS temples and to force adoptions to gay couples through LDS family services. The threat of the courts would be to remove the tax exempt status of the church, but it could be worse...state control over religion.
This was not the intent of the constitution framers. We must rise up as a faithful people and vigorously defend the freedom of religion from attack; which attacks are aimed at the very foundational principles of freedom and liberty.
4 comentarios:
Hey, What about women? Just because I like to watch Ellen doesn't mean I support the gay community?
It is interesting that you decided to write about this today. I was just talking about these same subjects with one of my friends this afternoon. It is scary and sad to think about what can happen to the church and especially our church. Makes me want to go to the temple tonight and go as often as I can before that blessing is taken away from us. Hmmm....
Sorry about not including "women" in the title of this blog, but that would have messed up the allusion to the hymn. I think that my inclusion of women is self-evident in the rest of the blog entry. Thanks for reading...even if it is boring!
We are fighting so hard down here to get prop 8 to pass. It is scary that here in America our right to religious freedom is slowly being taken away. It is just scary!
Publicar un comentario