miércoles, octubre 08, 2008

Universal Health Care - not good for America

Humor me while I develop my thoughts on the topic of Universal Health Care.

The main questions are:  Is health care an inalienable right that should be provided free to one and all? Or is health care a service for which we should exchange something of value in order to receive?

I believe that any person that has a need of treatment should be treated to the most reasonable ability available.  It is our moral obligation to see that the sick amongst us be taken care of.  God so commanded it.

Notice how I said it is “our” responsibility, not the government's.  It has been proven time and time again that the government just mucks things up with inefficiency, corruption, waste, irresponsibility, and lack of accountability.

I think back to good Dr. Baker in the TV series, Little House on the Prairie.  It makes me long for simpler times.  He didn’t seem to be interested in money, but rather he was portrayed as an altruistic servant of the community.  He was maintained by the citizens of Walnut Grove.  I never saw an exchange of money for his medical treatments, but I recall that Charles Ingalls provided him food.  The citizens probably even built his house.  That is so much more efficient than the government collecting taxes and then paying him a meager wage.

Education and training in the medical field allows people to provide meaningful service to society and society should therefore reward them with status in society and with a comfortable existence.

There is no question that those with the most money get better treatment.  I don’t believe that God is pleased with the disparity between the rich and the poor when it comes to health care and education.  I wish more of the rich would give of their “excess” in meaningful ways to lift up their fellow man, but I want it to come from their hearts, not by the force of law.  I think we should strive for no rich and no poor among us.

Perhaps we value human life too much as I mentioned in a previous blog and we get all bent out of shape regarding fairness, when if we had a more eternal perspective, such issues would be of far less concern.  Society tends to pay people largely what society thinks they are worth.  If the herd needs a little culling because lazy people can’t afford treatment, why not let nature take its course?  Isn’t that awful to think of in that way?

Malpractice lawsuits are too often unjustly large; thus the higher medical costs and insurance rates.  Punitive damages against doctors will eventual kill the medical field unless we change the laws.  If a doctor is found to be negligent then justice should demand restitution.  We need to find a way to distinguish negligence from common human error, mistakes, and accidents.  We need to end the blame games and be more accepting of God’s timetable for our lives.

In conclusion, it should be up to individuals to pay for their own medical insurance and care.  If they cannot, they should look to their families for support, then to their churches and private organizations, and the government should be the last resort.  Such government programs should be locally administered with local tax revenues and the directors of it should be accountable to the local citizenry to mitigate the risk of abuse.  It is our duty to take care of the sick and afflicted, so we need to do it rather than subcontracting it out to the government.

3 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

Hi Robert,

I hope all is going well for you.

I guess I need to be culled. Not because I can't afford insurance, but because due to my health, I can't qualify it because I would cut into the profit margin of the insurers. Unfortunately, my wife and one of my daughters need to be culled too for the same reason. ;-)

Thanks,
The Donkey

Birding is Fun! dijo...

Chris, I was wondering if you would enter the fray on this one.

Please make special note about who should be allowed to naturally by culled...the lazy.

I'm sure you are experiencing the joys of a broken health care system. I just don't see it as capitalism fault. I blame the government interference in health care. The government has really mucked it up...and now people want the government to do more mucking up? Unbelievable!

Now I'm not saying that insurance companies would never be guilty of greed...as that is a risk we must assume for the price of liberty...and peoples lives will be lost because of that greed. I think they would be less prone to greed if the government had never gotten its hand into the mix. Health care costs are outrageous? Why? Because of government subsidization of medical costs, which leads to inflated medicals costs, which makes it more expensive for the rich and the poor to be treated.

I feel the government has robbed me of my right to be charitable of my own free will and choice. If I got to keep that other 20-30% of my income, I would then have the choice and ability to help pay medical expenses for my friends and family.

The concept of insurance is pure genius and would work far better without government intervention driving up the costs. Insurance companies that screw their customers should be punished by the government that was established to protect our inalienable rights, not create new rights.

Unknown dijo...

One more quick comment. Little House on the Prairie is, as far as I know, fictional. I would really like to live on The Prairie. That would be fabulous. Dr. Baker seems like such a nice, upstanding individual. I am sure that if we find out where exactly he lives, we would find a very fine and moral population. Until then I will keep fighting for life.

BTW - In the scriptures you won't find any government run insurance organizations because the level of medical knowledge we currently have is a relatively recent gift from God.

The Donkey